free web stats Lost in the Eternity of the Here and Now: mmm... banana.... *drools*
Sola Scriptura · Solus Christus · Sola Gratia
Sola Fide · Soli Deo Gloria

Thursday, August 17, 2006

mmm... banana.... *drools*

People have always told me that I think too much. They are probably right. I analyze everything. Take a conversation for example. For days after a conversation I might analyze every word, every intimation, tones, body language. I think the end result is that I create a firm image in my mind of events, sometimes widely divergent from the actual. But, as the post-modernist would say, truth is what I believe, right? Regardless of the absolute that exists around me, my perception of it is all that matters. </sarcasm> I like to think that I see clearly (but who doesn’t right?) and am able to distinguish fact from fantasy, the real from the imagined. But I wonder… if I spend so much time thinking about things, and in the process of doing so I make a mistake in my logic, then I can create an entire world that is not real whilst fully believing in its existence. I think that we all do this to some extent, that is, deceive ourselves, whether intentionally or by faulty perception. The question though is to what extent and at what cost? Is any kind deception ever healthy? Alternate realities? Little white lies? Some would say that they are necessary in society, others that truth should always be pursued. I don’t know where I stand. It’s easier to live in denial, or be socially courteous by lying to someone, but does this serve to edify, or rather isolate people so that they can avoid reality and never know what is real? Do these lies become so commonplace that they permeate our being, defining who we are, serving to invalidate our very integrity? I think I would rather err on the side of truth.

However, since I think too much, and this post has been largely philosophical in nature, I thought I would share something that I ran across yesterday. This made me laugh.
Though you know where you want to go and what you want to be you haven't quite reached your goal. You are unsure of yourself and embarrassed by your shortcomings. But don't worry, there are plenty more like you that have yet to ripen. Be patient. Someday you too will make it to that supermarket shelf!


Given that I hate green bananas, I wonder if this says something about me? Maybe I’m a brown banana desperately trying to escape from a green banana. Or maybe I’m just insane, trying to find reason and meaning from a banana! Vive la brown banana!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ched said...

Hmm. Theological Musing straight from the aisles of the supermarket. Interesting.

8/22/2006 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thank's for stopping by!