free web stats Lost in the Eternity of the Here and Now: Alma Mater
Sola Scriptura · Solus Christus · Sola Gratia
Sola Fide · Soli Deo Gloria

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Alma Mater

I had the pleasure today of attending a training seminar for work. Normally I despise these training sessions, but this one came with a special treat. It was held in College Station across the street from Texas A&M, my alma mater. There are two things that struck me today as I drove those familiar streets. The first is college girls... I mean wow! It was like waking up from a long, boring dream. In the two and a half years since I graduated I guess I had forgotten how gorgeous they are. There is something that must happen to them when they graduate, or maybe they disappear to some secret location after graduation, or maybe... I'm just hanging around in the wrong places... I think there must be a secret place out there, and I implore you who know its location (you know who you are) to tell me where it is! I don't know… but what I do know is that institutions of higher learning have an inordinate number of beautiful girls as compared with the rest of society. Certainly that had been forgotten. Second, and more interesting, is the sense of emptiness that I felt as I was leaving town. I don't know what it was, but a part of me felt cold, like I wasn't suppose to leave. Today is one of the few times I can recall ever knowing where "home" was and feeling sad that I was leaving it. I did not realize I had such revere for my old school or that I had missed it so.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

You make me laugh!!

9/13/2006 7:14 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Well I'm glad I brought you laughter, but every word was written with heartfelt sincerity. Maybe that's what makes it so humorous. ...Do you know where they've gone, where this secret city is?

9/13/2006 7:28 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

It certainly isn't in Grangerland/Porter/New Caney that's for sure...

9/13/2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Well I know where two awesome God fearing single women live. Both happen to be related to me. Not sure that there really is a secret city. I think my sisters are looking for the secret city of God fearing men. Please let me know if you know where that is as they would love to know.

9/13/2006 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tragic tale.

9/16/2006 7:12 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Kevin: How can one statement be so funny, and yet depressing all at once?

Rachel: Judging on the raw material that constitutes "men," I regret to inform you that a city of God-fearing men is quite impossible. We (men) are far too base for any such city to ever exist for longer than, oh… about 15 minutes. Should some pioneering founder attempt such a venture, it would surely be exploited by another for their own gain within the hour; assuming the one seeking to found and exploit are not one and the same. Therefore, no such city could ever exist, because we are corrupt. And yes, I accept the realization that a city does not exist for the female persuasion. My question then is, "To where do the aforementioned females go after graduating, where is this allegorical city?" So far I have determined it is not the library, my entire 24-floor building, seminary, or the Wal-Mart in Porter. I don’t have the time to explore elsewhere, so I implore you, if you know, do tell!

Ched: True story.

9/20/2006 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I encounter the second feeling this week as I was at TAMU for recruiting...my longing was for two things:1. the ambiance of the dorm room (if that word can be applied to my days of Hart F-15) and 2. The longing to be screaming at a sports event...mostly Kyle Field.

I've never thought about where they go but you pose a good question to think about.

9/22/2006 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thank's for stopping by!