free web stats Lost in the Eternity of the Here and Now: To the Horizon
Sola Scriptura · Solus Christus · Sola Gratia
Sola Fide · Soli Deo Gloria

Friday, January 26, 2007

To the Horizon

One thing I have learned in my few years since graduating is that the single greatest roadblock to experiencing life is myself. It is so easy to get caught up in a routine and forget that there is an entire world waiting to be discovered. So often we define ourselves based on our immediate surroundings and become confined in a prison of our own making. That which we value is trivial, and that which actually has value is trivial. I see two components to this problem.

The first is ignorance bred through complacency. We have lost the ability to read, the constant desire to learn. We learn what we need to function in our environment and cast off other knowledge as ancillary. Who can remember being in high school and hearing, or even saying, “Why do I need to know math? I’m never going to use this.” What ever happened to the idea that all knowledge is valuable and should be cherished for its inherent value, not just the dividends of profit we reap from it. If only we could break free from our sedentary nature and strive to know all things. Paul says that the knowledge of God is clearly seen in nature, therefore any study of the natural world becomes a tool to know God.

The second reason is fear. We are comfortable in what we know. The world is a dark place, that is, until we start looking around. We fear the unknown, but why? What is it about uncertainty that instills such dread in man? Meeting new people, visiting another country, starting a new job. It all goes back to faith in God. If he is in control of all things, and he works all things for the good of those who love him, then fear is destroyed. There is nothing unfamiliar that we can encounter that can take from us that certainty, that God is in control and he is more valuable than any other thing.

So if the world is so large, and we experience such a small portion of it, how can we remedy this? I don’t know if my inexperience is speaking, or if I am being taken by wanderlust, but from the earliest memory I have always been fascinated by my surroundings. I want to see and do everything. To accomplish this I think I would like to acquire a yacht and sail the world; just lift the anchor and go. Nothing too fancy of course, but you can pick up a nice sail boat for the price of an average home. Just imagine being able to travel all over the world, stopping as you please. Europe, the Caribbean, Africa, South America, the Philippines, Australia, a world of opportunity! You would meet so many people, and be able to share the gospel with people all over the world. I found this site and have been reading about this retired couple’s experience. It's intoxicating!

...Maybe I’m just crazy, but I still think it would be awesome.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ched said...

o often we define ourselves based on our immediate surroundings

Very True.

2/03/2007 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thank's for stopping by!