free web stats Lost in the Eternity of the Here and Now: Weekend Wedding
Sola Scriptura · Solus Christus · Sola Gratia
Sola Fide · Soli Deo Gloria

Monday, October 09, 2006

Weekend Wedding

This was a busy weekend. Jarod, Amy, my father, and I flew to Kansas to attend my cousin Hayleigh’s wedding. The wedding was really nice, the reception was a lot of fun, and it was the first time in five years that I had seen any of them. We stopped by our old house, the house I spent my early years in. Every time I see it I think it gets smaller. Of course, everything seems so big when you’re three feet tall. We also got a chance to stroll the streets of Oktoberfest.Welcome to Kansas! Local crafts, food and a car show. Oh, and I almost fell down some stairs. Nearly every house in Atchison has a basement, and the house of the friends with whom we stayed was no exception. The entrance to their basement is in a closet with a false floor. This closet was also home to the ironing board. After ironing my clothes for the wedding I thought I should go put up the iron and board. As I was winding up the cord on the iron I opened the door. The closet wasn’t dark at all, plenty of room to see where to put the iron, but for some reason I became preoccupied with finding the light switch. Finally I found the switch, then looked down and realized that the false floor was open. My First HouseHad I walked in while I was preoccupied with the cord I would have fallen down a flight of stairs! Given that there was no reason for me to need a light, I can only conclude that it was divine intervention that stopped me. So, I’m glad I didn’t trip on my trip to Kansas.

As for being back in my hometown, it certainly felt good. I would classify it better than as a place that “is great to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there,” but not so much that I would like to live there long term. I think I have been spoiled by the convenience of having everything at my fingertips. Though admittedly I miss the atmosphere and the family. Everyone there seems to genuinely care about one another, family and friends alike. I enjoy convenience, but I wonder if the price of its purchase was worth it. I think that is an extreme downfall to Houston. We have no central place to meet, no binding tie that connects us all. Small towns certainly have something that big cities do not, and a part of me misses that dearly. Even the small towns around Houston lack that feeling. I don't know what it is, but something is different. I am glad to have been able to attend, and wish I could have stayed a little longer. I think we all felt that way.

2 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Hey I remember that house. I remember the family trip we took there to visit. I remember sitting on the font steps and playing with you and Jarod in the play room or well your bedroom maybe. I am glad you did not trip and had a wonderful time in Kansas and with the rest of your family. Anyway although you feel that way your current location in most people's eyes would be considered a small town and you still have family here although maybe not as many, we all still love and miss you and we should spend more time together than we do. Love Your Cousin, April

10/13/2006 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really enjoyed this, MNM!

10/13/2006 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thank's for stopping by!